Friday, July 24, 2009

SEC Media Days: Chizik Live

We'll start with the headliner: "Yes, I did vote for Tim Tebow."

On the billboards: "Everything we do will be in the direction of promoting Auburn University. We'll always do what's in the best interest of Auburn."

On a comparison between the SEC and Big 12: "Two great conferences. Arguably the two best in the country. I think time has proven that. I think the Big 12 has made leaps and bounds in the last four years. The Big 12 is leaps and bounds better than it was five years ago, in my opinion, from top to bottom... In my opinion, there's no greater league than the SEC... Do I think this is the best conference in the country? I do. Do I think the Big 12 is a great conference? I do."

Feel any need to keep staff that was there under Tuberville: "When you take over a job you have to do what you think is best for the program... I used my best discernment on which ones I needed to keep and which ones I reluctantly had to let go. Those are tough, tough decisions. In the name of making the best staff in the country, which was my goal, I had to make some tough decisions."

On being low-key: "I've got three children and my wife. I get plenty of attention when I go home. What gets you attention is when you win. It's that simple. I don't have to go out and gather attention for myself. It's not about me. It's about Auburn... I don't care to draw a lot of attention to myself. It's just who I am."

On interest in the Central Florida job a few years ago: "I don't live in the past... That's not the way I operate."

Increasing salaries for assistants: "I think it's great. I was an assistant three years ago and I don't forget. Let me tell you something: These guys sacrifice a lot. They sacrifice with their families. They sacrifice their time... I love the fact that the money for the assistants is starting to rise. It's very valid in my opinion. As far as me being a head coach... we want to do everything we can do to help them and their families."

Recruiting: "When we went out recruiting, we tried to recruit the right guy."

On DeAngelo Benton and Emory Blake: "I'll simply say they're talented guys, in our opinion. It's going to take them some time to get used to all the things you have to do to play well in this league. ... We hope they can step up to the plate and help our offense this year. In a perfect world that's certainly what would happen."

No comments: