Friday, August 21, 2009

RB Smith arrested

Eric Smith, a sophomore running back, was arrested early Friday morning for misdemeanor disorderly conduct stemming from an incident at the Lexington Hotel in Auburn.

A redacted police report said the 19-year-old was arrested at 1:42 a.m. and taken to the Lee County Detention Center. It also said there were no injuries, Smith was sober and did not resist arrest.

The report also said Smith had no previous arrests.

Smith is currently competing for the backup tailback position behind senior Ben Tate. He rushed for 83 yards as a true freshman last night.

Auburn has not released an official statement on the situation. Coach Gene Chizik will be available after practice.

UPDATE: Smith was not at practice during the portion open to the media on Friday. Still no official word on his situation.

UPDATE 2: I would say it doesn't look great for Smith. Chizik wouldn't say whether or not he's on the team, but gave this statement:

"I want to start out and I want to address a situation that probably most of you are aware of with one of our players, Eric Smith. It was an incident that I've spent a lot of the day fact-finding and doing a lot of research on the incident, and I'm not going to go into any details or specifics on the matter. In my opinion, it's a family matter between Eric, myself and our football team. But I can assure you that is has been addressed. I've met with the young man, I've met with our football team. We have certain expectations of an Auburn man and quite frankly he didn't live up to that. So we've addressed it and if you see him in an Auburn uniform again I can guarantee you that he's paid a price to be an Auburn man and he'll be a lot better one at that point than he is now.

"So I don't want to belabor the point and I don't want to again get into specifics or details of the situation. But again, I can assure you, we've addressed it."

No comments: