Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sims turning pro

This from Auburn sports information:

AUBURN DEFENSIVE TACKLE PAT SIMS TO ENTER NFL DRAFT

AUBURN—Auburn junior defensive tackle Pat Sims will forgo his senior year and make himself eligible for the 2008 National Football League Draft.
A Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native, Sims played in 27 career games at Auburn, registering 56 tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 quarterback sacks. This season, the 6-4, 316-pound Sims was named a First-Team All-Southeastern Conference selection by the Associated Press after finishing second on the team with 11.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 quarterback sacks, while finishing 11th on the team with 37 tackles.
“This was something that I carefully thought about and felt it was in my best interest to pass on my senior season at Auburn and make myself eligible for the NFL Draft,” Sims said. “It’s always been a dream of mine to play at the next level, and I believe this is the right time to pursue that goal.”
Starting in all 13 contests in 2007, Sims finished his career by being named the Defensive MVP of the Chick-fil-A Bowl after finishing with four tackles, including three for loss and one sack.
“I had a great experience at Auburn, and I’d like to thank Coach Tuberville, Coach Dunn, Coach Gran, Coach Yoxall and the remainder of the football staff for their support and helping make me the player and person that I am,” Sims said. “I’m very appreciative to them for sticking with me through the good and bad times. I’ll also miss my teammates and the great Auburn fans, who were my biggest supporters.”
Sims helped an Auburn defense that finished sixth nationally in both scoring defense (10.1 ppg) and total defense (297.9 ypg) this season.

More in Wednesday's Star.

No comments: