Friday, December 19, 2008

Building the staff comes second

This seems like a great riddle. What came first: The coaches or the players?
Well, Auburn coach Gene Chizik isn't exactly saying he's choosing players over coaches -- not with the pending end of recruiting contact period. Still, his choice has been very obvious since he met with the media on Monday.
Chizik wanted to hit the ground recruiting, and that's exactly what he's done.
As for the coaching staff... Well, that will have to wait until next week.
Mobile Press-Register ace Evan Woodbery (you can read his blog here) transcribed what Chizik said today on Birmingham-based radio station JOX:

As we talked about the game of chess, you've always got to have a plan, you're always staying three or four steps ahead, and I am that way right now with our staff.

The decision I had to make when I took the job is do I put all my time into creating a staff, knowing I already know basically what direction I'm headed, or do I go out there and find out who my recruits are? Obviously, one right now is much more important than the other, and that's getting out and seeing who these kids are and getting in the door.

The staff is going to be there. Many of them know the direction that I want to go. When we get done with this -- I'm going to be fighting and battling and scrapping for the next two days. When that slows down, then we'll go in the next direction and that is to start putting together the best Auburn staff that we can put together.

I feel real good about it. Obviously I can't divulge exactly what direction we're going to go in. But I can tell the Auburn people that it will be an extremely good staff.
---
What's interesting, though not surprising, is that Chizik has finally acknowledged that he knows essentially how he'll fill his staff.
One member, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports, is already getting interest from Auburn.
That man: Georgia OL coach Stacy Searels. (EDIT)

That's the buzz around the Plains right now.
Check back later.

UPDATE: The Dothan Eagle's expert beat writer, Drew Champlin, has stayed on top of rumors that Chizik and Auburn might have interest in receivers coach Shane Wasden. So far, Troy and coach Larry Blakeney have not officially heard from Auburn or Chizik.
You can read more here.

No comments: