Sunday, December 14, 2008

Chizik arrives

A day after a barrage of negative response to Auburn's decision to hire Gene Chizik, a couple hundred cheering fans made their way to the Auburn/Opelika Robert G. Pitts Airport to greet the new coach.
Chizik was greeted warmly by Auburn fans at the airport before he offered a few words to the media.
Here's what he had to say:

“First of all, I am very, very overwhelmed. I’m back home. What can I say? I’m back home. I feel very blessed. My family, myself, this is a dream come true for us. And this is going to brief, but I’ll tell you this – these people of Auburn University and the Auburn family is what I got into coaching for. And I left it with a dream to one day come back to it, and today I’m living that dream and I want to thank you guys. And War Eagle.”

Chizik is scheduled to meet with the players at 8 p.m. tonight.

EDIT: Auburn mayor Bill Hamm gave Chizik a key to the city once he arrived.

No comments: