Friday, August 5, 2011

Auburn puts on the pads

By Charles Bennett

AUBURN – Auburn added a little pop to practice on Friday, working out in shells for the first time this fall.

“It was great,” said Auburn coach Gene Chizik. “Both sides of the ball were very eager. Again, being physical is what our emphasis is every day and they tried to take that from the meeting rooms out to the field. Again, I think the younger guys, it got their attention a little bit when they realized what’s happening and how fast the game moves. Again, I thought the whole team embraced the concept of being physical today and they tried to do it.”

The Tigers went inside the new indoor facility for the last portion of practice.

“It was pretty hot and we stayed (outside) long enough to get a good feel for the temperature,” Chizik said. “At that point we went inside and finished practice. I was really wanting them to focus in and try to get better at their trade, so that’s what we did. I think it worked out well. So I think they were excited about it and again I think the tempo went up when we went in there and they did a nice job.”

McCalebb still lean
Tailback Onterio McCalebb said recently he has bulked up to 180 pounds, but running backs coach Curtis Luper says that’s simply not true.

“He's stretching it,” Luper said. “And I stretched it too. He's about 172. “

Phillips ready to roll

Fullback Ladarious Phillips, a redshirt freshman who played at Handley High, has looked good thus far in practice according to Luper.
“He's athletic,” Luper said. “He's tough and he really wants to do well. He's conscientious. He's got the tools physically. He just needs reps.”

Phillips, who sat out last season with a severe ankle sprain, is weighing in at 285 after reporting at 293.

“He looks good,” Luper said. “He's at 285. Can probably get him down a little bit, but he's active. “

It’s not about fame

Freshman tailback Tre mason is the son of Vincent Mason, a member of the Hip Hop group De La Soul.

Mason says there’s no competition for the limelight between father and son.
“I try not to get into my dad's shine,” Tre said. “I try to make a scene for myself. I congratulate him on everything he's accomplished in his life. I try to do the same for mine.”

No comments: