Friday, August 5, 2011

Dyer looking forward to big year

Auburn running back Mike Dyer sat down with reporters after practice Thursday night and discussed a variety of subjects, from how practice is going to where he fits in among the current crop of SEC tailbacks.
Here's what he had to say:


How’s it going?

“Good. Offense is doing good, defense is doing an excellent job making sure they’re in the right spots. Us as a whole team is getting better every day.”



What are you working on without pads?

“Just going over the plays, going over what we can go over as far as timing, stuff like that when we work out without the pads. Just getting the feel for being out there again, little stuff like that before we get the pads on.”



Are you surprised it has been so crisp?

“A lot of guys have been in the playbooks, and when you go out there, you can tell. It makes everything go smooth.”



How do you compare it to a year ago?

“I feel like I got better in a lot of areas, just really trying to go out there and showcase what we have for our team. For myself, I’ve gotten better in a couple of areas. We’re just ready to go out there and play.”



Are you excited that it's probably going to be a more tailback-oriented offense this year?

“We’re going to miss Cam because he brought a lot to our offense, but I think a lot of guys on this team are ready to show what they have and really think they can step up. Everybody’s talking about how we’re going to miss Cam, but a lot of guys are going to step up in areas he did, and we’re going to put it all together and be one team.”


Outside expectations seem to be a bit low. Your thoughts?

“People have their opinions, and they’re welcome to them. I just think that a lot of people think it was Cam and Nick, it was all them, they made big plays, but I feel like we had a lot of people on that team that were really good players, that were talented last year. They could do it. That’s what happened. This year, they’re saying we’re going to win six, or four, I don’t pay too much attention to that.”


What’s a good year for you?

“Just going out there and doing exactly what my coaches need me to do. I have some personal goals for myself, you know, try to break some records, just be a team player at the same time. Try to do a lot for my team, try to be as helpful as I can be.”


Are you the best running back in the SEC?

“I don’t really watch TV, so I don’t really know. I’m just the type of guy that plays football. We get out there on that green grass, we go out and play, I’m that type of guy. But I don’t care very much about being compared to other running backs, stuff like that. That’s not the type of player I am.”


Have you talked with (South Carolina running back) Marcus Lattimore?

“I really haven’t talked to him much. I talked to him at the beginning of the season. But other than that, I haven’t. I want to say I talked to Lache Seastrunk a couple weeks ago.”



How do you see things going with you and Onterio this season?

“It’s gonna be great. He brings a wide-open game, in our offense especially, and our kickoff returns. We know each other well, we’ve had a year together, so we know our don’ts and our do’s. We know where we’re supposed to be. We know a lot of different things that are going to help us this year to be quicker with the runs and passes and all that stuff.”



Of the young players, who has impressed you?

“Quan Bray is just doing a tremendous job back there. He’s been stepping up, doing exactly what the coach asks him, always being in the right spots, catching everything. I haven’t seen him drop a pass yet. But all our young guys are working hard: Sammie (Coates), all those guys I’ve been around the past couple days. Defense, they’re working in, doing exactly what they’re told. They’re coming together. Right now, we’re going in the right direction.”



Quan's at WR?

“I know they’re moving him around. He’s doing whatever the coaches ask him. That’s the type of guys we need and that’s the type of guy he is.”



Is the competition going to be fun?

“It’s going to be real fun. Everybody’s anxious to see where they’re going to fit in, a lot of people seeing whether they’re going to stay at this position, stuff like that. When you go out there, everything’s open. You just have to go out there and play, show what you can do. If that’s your job, take it, and if not, try to find another spot on the team or try to fill in. Right now we’re just all in it together trying to figure out where we’re going to go from here.”

No comments: