Thursday, August 4, 2011

By Charles Bennett

AUBURN – Auburn coach Gene Chizik said the Tigers’ second day of fall practice was another good one, but that the team’s youth fullness showed a little bit.

“I thought today was a good second day as well,” Chizik said following Thursday’s practice. “Again, I think the young guys were swimming a little bit more today because there was more installation and more to digest. But I think the older guys had a really good practice. Again, the energy level is there. They’re really trying to focus, do the little things the right way, which is what it’s going to take for us to be able to win. Overall, before looking at the practice tape, I thought it was a good day.”

Lykes dismissed
Defensive lineman Derrick Lykes has been dismissed for a violation of team rules.
Lykes, a 6-2, 288-pound redshirt junior from Clayton, played in 16 games in a reserve role over the last two years with 12 tackles.

“Derrick Lykes has been dismissed from our football team for violation of team rules,” Chizik said. “I won’t get into specifics but he will no longer be with Auburn.”

Chizik said the violation happened “within the last week,” and that Lykes would not be eligible to return.

Watch what you Tweet
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier has banned the use of Twitter by his football players, but Chizik takes a softer approach.
“Our thoughts on Twitter is that if that is causing some type of problem, individually we’ll address it,” Chizik said.

Just a number
Auburn defensive tackle Gabe Wright is wearing No. 90, the jersey worn by former Lombardi Award winning Nick Fairley, but Wright says it’s no big deal.

“I really learned over the years that the player makes the number,” Wright said. “I know Nick did his thing. I’m just really looking forward to being out there, wearing my own number. I know he wore it, I’m not going to say it’s my time, but it’s the number I chose, it’s the number I wore in high school, but it’s just a number. It’s really up to me to make it.”

Auburn’s lone ranger

Auburn offensive tackle John Sullen is the only player on this year’s team from the town of Auburn.

He admits it’s a bit odd.
“Yes, it is, because my school, either you’re an Auburn fan or you’re an Auburn fan,” Sullen said.

No comments: